Johannesburg, 24 April 2017
JCDecaux South Africa collaborates with Vodacom and MEC Global to re-ignite Ponte City, Jo’burg’s most iconic skyscraper
JCDecaux, the number one outdoor advertising company worldwide, together with Vodacom, a leading African mobile communication company, and MEC Global, the fifth largest media agency network in the world, announced today that they had joined forces to revitalise the iconic Ponte City building.
Ponte City is the tallest and most iconic skyscraper to grace the Johannesburg City skyline and is fabric to all imagery that showcases Jo’burg to the world. The massive outdoor advertising structure, 15m high and 132m long, is supported on the Ponte City roof and proudly affords Vodacom ownership of the city skyline with an almost 360-degree view from many kilometres away.
Vodacom’s face is visible both day and night, enabled by approximately 7000m of LED lights mounted on the front of the structure.
JCDecaux South Africa acquired the advertising rights to the iconic building in 2014 and in December 2016 JCDecaux commenced with the twelve-week refurbishment project in order to revitalise the ageing outdoor signage with state-of-the-art technology.
Mark Cooper, CEO of JCDecaux sub-Saharan Africa, states "as the world leader in Outdoor Advertising, we are privileged to have the opportunity to partner with Vodacom in revitalizing the display of their brand at the top of the iconic Ponte City Building, which dominates the Joburg Skyline".
Noleen Cochran, Strategy and Media manager of Vodacom, says "this has been a very exciting project for us. We are very pleased with the quality of the execution and the standards of work by JCDecaux South Africa. We are looking forward to growing our partnership with JCDecaux".
About JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa
JCDecaux in sub-Saharan Africa, formerly Continental Outdoor Media until the acquisition by JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC) in partnership with Royal Bafokeng Holdings in June 2015, is Africa's leading traditional and digital outdoor advertising company and operates in 16 countries in Africa. The company offers in excess of 37, 000 advertising opportunities within the African continent.
JCDecaux is the number one Outdoor Advertising company worldwide and the market leader in Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Africa and the Middle-East. JCDecaux is listed on Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and FTSE4Good indexes. Employing 12,850 people, the Group has operations in more than 75 countries around the world, and has a presence in 4,435 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants. The Group generated total revenues of €3,208 million in 2015.
Key Figures for JCDecaux
- 2015 revenue: €3,208m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 index
- JCDecaux is part of the FTSE4Good index
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (524,580 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 230 airports and 280 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (395,770 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (177,760 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (731,390 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Asia-Pacific region (236,760 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (62,860 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (32,840 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle-East (16,280 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide for self-service bicycle hire: pioneer in eco-friendly mobility
- 1,129,410 advertising panels in more than 75 countries
- Present in 4,435 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- Daily audience: more than 390 million people
- 12,850 employees
Contact for JCDecaux Africa: Refilwe Kgosiemang